Delta and Yorktown girls’ tennis teams came together Thursday evening to raise a record total of more than $8,000 for local cancer organizations.
Skies threatened rain all day, but the event stayed dry and all ceremonies and matches were completed.
In the varsity match, Delta topped Yorktown 4-1. The 11th-ranked Eagles increased their record to 14 wins, 1 loss. Delta also won the JV match, 13-4.
But, of course, the real winners on this evening were those who have fought or are fighting cancer battles. Forty people, ranging in age from 7 to 80, hit honorary first serves as Server Survivors prior to the match. Fifty businesses and families supported the event with a sponsor sign. And the large crowd purchased concessions and helped drive t-shirt sales toward the 800 mark. Concessions were sold and a racket donated by the Indianapolis Racquet Club was raffled.
The SmashCancer event, which was founded by Delta and Yorktown in the Spring of 2012, now has generated approximately $41,000 for local cancer organizations and families. This year;s beneficiaries are:
> The Cancer Center at IU Health Ball Hospital.
> Little Red Door Cancer Services of East Central Indiana
> The American Cancer Society Relay for Life
> The family of Albany Elementary student Christian Daugherty
> The family of Albany Elementary student Emeri Barger
> And Alex’s Lemonade Stand for childhood cancer research in honor of Delta senior Amanda Kirby, a seven-year metastatic brain cancer survivor
Results of the match
1. Ellie Snider (D) def. Elizabeth Kornilow, 6-0, 6-2
2. Gwendolyn Clark (D) def. Isabelle Collins, 6-0, 6-0
3. Maggie Hunt (D) def. Kate Lloyd, 6-2, 6-0
1. Sam Academia / Sasha Academia (Y) def. Maggie Manor / Tynan Dishman, 6-4, 6-4
2. Mayzie Hinkle / Abby Bamidele (D) def. Lucy Wulhoite / Anna Rosenthal, 6-0, 6-4
1. Carolina Vidal won 8-0
2. Liv Bradburn won 6-0
3. Lily Brannon won 6-4
4. Corinne Jones won 6-1
5. Hannah McDowell lost 1-6
1. Sara Cardemon / Ryley Bilbrey won 8-2
2. Molly Hunt / Mary Groove won 8-1
3. Maddy Robbins / Madelyn Haley won 8-5
4. Madalin Davis / Carly Ratliff won 8-4
5. Ainzli Grismore / Ella Bright won 8-1
6. Savanna Hickey / Olivia Miller won 8-6
7. Laura Fowler / Bailey Brown won 8-3
8. Lizzy Thomas / Eden Richey lost 1-6
9. Grace Foust / Katie Alexander won 6-1
10. Allison Bell / Helena Heintzelman lost 1-6
11. Abby Raleigh / Sarah Haney won 6-2
12. Heddie Heintzelman / Lizzy Pyles lost 0-6
The next match for the Eagles will be 5:15 p.m. Tuesday at home vs. Fort Wayne Concordia.